Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sorry for not posting anything new for a while. I've been checking out Taipei's night markets lately and spent a night in the KTV (karaoke bar). Right now it's raining very hard outside, to the point that it's really very noisy inside because of the pouring rain. It's Thursday afternoon, and I'll go to class as soon as the rain stops. I plan to go to Jiufen with some friends next weekend, and the next free morning I will seek out Longshan temple to make some photo's.

Our teacher told us to watch the news because there might be a typhoon coming today. I checked out the news, but no matter how good your Chinese is, this is a huge challenge. They did not say anything about not going out or not going to work/school, so I guess we're fine. I checked the government's weather forecast and it shows the typhoon will hit us tomorrow morning.

A few things are beginning to show up in my apartment. For one thing, next to the mosquito's we know in the Netherlands, there are also some other mosquito's who are only one or two millimeters in size, but are even more annoying. They're impossible to find and their bites give an incredible itch.
Secondly there are cockroaches. They're really everywhere in this country. Unlike some other Asians, the Taiwanese prefer not to eat them. I have one in my room now but I'm not sure where it is.
Lastly, I have a very classic complaint. When I almost fell asleep at about 2 am, my neighbors started to have loud sex until at least 4 am, when I eventually fell asleep. The woman's high pitched, short moans where probably bothering another neighbor as well, as he started knocking on the walls at around 3 am. It was silent for ten minutes, and then they went at it again.

I bought some earplugs.